Mercer University Libraries have a number of service locations, but a single set of loan rules.
- Currently enrolled students and currently employed faculty and staff may borrow materials from the Mercer University Libraries by presenting their Mercer ID (Bear Card) at the circulation desk or using the Mercer Self-Checkout App (meeScan).
- A Bear Card may also be used to access any of our 24-hour study rooms.
- Note: Reference materials, print journals, microfilm/microfiche, Special Collections, and some government documents are restricted to library use only.
The loan periods for different types of materials are as follows:
|Books & Sound Recordings||90 days / 1 renewal||120 days / 2 renewals||28 days / 1 renewal|
|Video||7 days / no renewals|
10 video limit
|7 days / no renewals|
10 video limit
|Maximum Items Allowed||100 items||unlimited items||10 items|
In addition to the traditional items above, we also have limited equipment available for students and employees to borrow. Check with your library to see availability. Fines and replacement fees vary for equipment loans.
Computer Use in Libraries
Only borrowers with an MUID (Mercer University ID) and Active Directory credentials have access to computers. Other borrowers may not have access to computers but can get assistance at the circulation desk.
Holds & Recalls
If an item you want is checked out and you wish to be notified of its return, you can place a hold on the item through our the online catalog:
- After you have found your item, click the “request” button located in the blue bar near the top of the page.
- Complete the form to include your name, MUID, pick-up location, and your contact information.
If you have any questions, please ask at a service point, we would be happy to help!
Recalling an Item (Mercer Faculty & Staff Only)
If an item you urgently need is checked out and you would like to have it as soon as possible, you may request that the item be recalled. When an item is recalled, the person in possession of the item receives a request to return it. Only Mercer faculty and staff may place recalls on library material.
Having Your Item Recalled
Note: If a person recalls an item you have checked out, you will receive a new due date and a fine of $2.50 per day will be charged beyond that date.
Items needed by faculty for a class or reserve will be recalled with an immediate due date. Recall dates are determined by a patron’s registration status and the type of item being recalled. Additionally, each patron type and each material type has different guaranteed loan periods as follows:
|Books & Sound Recordings||28 day guaranteed loan period||28 day guaranteed loan period||14 day guaranteed loan period|
|Video||7 day guaranteed loan period||7 day guaranteed loan period||Not permitted|
Fines & Lost Item Charges
- Library privileges will be suspended for students owing $25.00 or more. Employees owing $500 or more will likewise have their library privileges suspended.
- Library holds will be placed on the student information record of any student owing $25.00 or more.
- Fines may be paid via Bear Card at the circulation desk or online via the Mercer eStore using a credit or debit card. See our FAQ for step-by-step instructions.
- When items are billed, there is a non-refundable $10 service charge.
- Most materials accrue no fines, as long as you return the original item. (Please note: you must return the original item. We cannot accept replacement items purchased elsewhere.)
- If you have any questions about a charge or this policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Books, CD-ROMS, & Sound Recordings||--|
|DVD/VHS||$1.00 per day, per item|
|3-Hour Reserves/Library Use Only||$1.00 per hour, per item|
|Overnight Reserves||$1.00 per hour, per item|
|1-day Reserves||$1.00 per day, per item|
|3-day Reserves||$1.00 per day, per item|
|1-week Reserves||$1.00 per day, per item|
|Equipment||$5.00 per hour, per hourly item
$25.00 per day, per daily item
Lost or Damaged Items
|Item Type||Replacement Fees|
|Keys||$7.00 fine for a lost study room key|
|Lost Books, DVD/VHS, Equipment*||$65.00 + $10.00 processing fee|
|Recalls||$2.50 per day|
* if replacement cost exceeds $65.00, the actual cost will be charged instead.